Thursday, August 12, 2010

How Teachers Should Dress


From my manuscript, Mindful Teaching:

When I go to work, I dress up as if I’m attending a corporate board meeting in San Francisco. In other words, I wear slacks and a tie four or five days a week, and if I attend a public event such as Back to School Night or a district board meeting I wear a suit. My outfit radiates professionalism, purposefulness, maturity, wealth, and ambition. Parents mistake me for an administrator or district official and ask me questions, because I look like I am in charge. Students notice this attention, deserved or not.

Would I teach better in jeans and a flannel shirt? My dress does not alter my teaching nor does it change my classroom technique one way or another. However, my outfit does generate more respect from both students and parents than if I wear jeans and a flannel shirt. I feel that as an uber-authority (in the students’ eyes) I will be subject to less acting out than the teacher in jeans and the flannel shirt. I will enjoy less disruptions and more successful lessons. I advise all high school teachers to dress up like business professionals unless they are preparing science labs, art projects, or physical education programs. Unfair as it is, a kid will construct a poor first impression of a teacher that looks like a grounds keeper. He will maintain that impression for a long time, saying to himself, “If he doesn’t have respect for his appearance and his profession, why should I?”

I want a student’s, parent’s and administrator’s first impression and subsequent sentiments to be working for me, not against me. Psychologists state that visual clues are used more than other modalities. Abraham Lincoln bought a new suit so voters would not “judge the peanut by its shell.” You may be subject to some mocking by your teacher peers who dress like fast-food workers. Accept the teasing in good cheer. It’s still worth dressing up.

2 comments:

  1. I don't agree. I think people should wear what makes them feel good about themselves and then they will exude confidence. Judging clothes is a slippery slope. How about people who dress conservatively but cheaply or they are overweight and look bad in their clothes. Where do you draw the line. Most people are judged on what they do, not how they look. There is some research on this very topic in medicine for instance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for your comment. I appreciate you posting. Psychological research shows that first impressions are extremely important and long-lasting, and people tend to use previously made schemas for judging others. The schema for a man in a suit is going to help in a classroom much more than the schema of a man in jeans. Please see Smith & Queller, 2001 and Fiske, 1995 here. (I can give more details if interested.)

    ReplyDelete

Teacher by Day, Drummer by Night

Teacher by Day, Drummer by Night
Please recommend this blog to others

Popular Posts