Friday, March 9, 2012

How I Trained My Cat

My cat loves to sniff around and mark territory
I have trained my cat to do two things: come when called and go outside on a leash. Here's how.

1. Create a cue.
Most cats will come when they hear the sound of a can opener, since they associate the sound with a reward. I cued this cue with a whistle. I repeat the whistle every time before opening the can. I also use the whistle before giving my cat any special treat. She now associates the whistle with an upcoming reward and comes to me most of the time. Additionally, I want my cat to get rid of bugs that make their way into my house, so I created a different cue for hunting. I call out, "look, look look" in a high voice and the cat immediately goes to where I am and looks for bugs to catch.

2. Use successive approximations for shaping behaviors
Read this article in the New York Times on how to train a cat to walk on a leash. It works. The author first rewarded the cat for putting on the leash. Then the cat was rewarded for traveling a bit inside and then outside. That's what I did. The whole process took a few weeks. I don't lead my cat like one would walk a dog. I just let her sniff around and go where she wants to go. The hardest thing is finding an area free of canines and cars.

2 comments:

  1. Good example of how to use classic reinforcement principles. Well done. I am, however, still left wondering why cats are harder to train than dogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting!
      Dogs are pack animals and want to please the leader, usually a human. Cats are lone hunters and not pack animals and are less social. Still, I have found my cat has built a strong bond with me. Both cats and dogs respond well to operant conditioning.

      Delete

Teacher by Day, Drummer by Night

Teacher by Day, Drummer by Night
Please recommend this blog to others

Popular Posts