Friday, July 20, 2012

The Main Difference Between Men and Women: Packing for Vacation

South Lake Tahoe Photo by Mark Miller
My significant other and I just concluded a relaxing five-day vacation at South Lake Tahoe, Nevada. I threw one light bag in the trunk of my car, and that bag was small enough to fit in an airplane overhead. I also added a duffel bag for dirty laundry, two books and two magazines, pencil and paper, and two pairs of shoes (running shoes and dress shoes). I was wearing sandals for the ride. I packed a shirt and work out clothes for every day, one pair of jeans and slacks, my shaver, dental floss, toothbrush and tooth paste. Done!

In contrast the lovely lady packed a monstrous piece of luggage, roughly the size of the Loch Ness Monster, stunning in color and shape, and fit for the Queen of England. She packed outfits for hiking, lounging, running, and swimming (numerous swimsuits, goggles, ear plugs, head cover, and the most stylistic plastic sandals for lounging at the pool). If we ate by the pool she dressed properly. If somehow, every day, we were transported to four-star restaurants in Manhattan (see link), she had different outfits ready for each evening.

My favorite sub-bag (bag within the main luggage) and the main object of my ridicule was her large container housing all her hair and makeup products. I don't know what any of that stuff did. It looked like dangerous potions fit for chemistry class, only it somehow ended up on her face. She had colored pencils that did things to her eyes, I don't know what, and more of those pencils than I have at my desk at work.She had so many different hair condiments that I was able to borrow a shampoo, and she never had to ask for it back. Without any smugness she stated, "See? It's good to pack different shampoos." "I was expecting a free one in the bathroom," I mumbled.

A day after we arrived I discovered that I forgot to pack any underwear other than what I was wearing and the three useful but uncomfortable athletic supporters I packed for the gym and trails. Again vindicated, she suggested I go into town and buy some underwear. Thinking quickly, I called the front desk and found a washer and drier one floor below. Laundry detergent was there for the taking and the machines were industrial size and free. I washed her dirty stuff too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teacher by Day, Drummer by Night

Teacher by Day, Drummer by Night
Please recommend this blog to others

Popular Posts